SPIE is a nonprofit society publisher committed to the advancement of light-based science. SPIE journal authors enjoy many benefits, including personalized attention, flexibility, and prompt responses from an experienced and dedicated editorial team.
Benefits of Publishing in an SPIE Journal
- Copyediting and typesetting: All accepted papers are professionally copyedited, typeset in XML, and optimized for online publication.
- Online-first publication: Accepted papers are rapidly published online upon author approval of the proofs, with an average time from acceptance to online publication of 3 weeks.
- Timely and rigorous peer review: All papers undergo blind peer review by experts in the field. Peer review is prompt, with an average time of 6 weeks or less from submission to first decision.
- Videos and multimedia: Videos and multimedia files can be included for free. Online color figures are also free.
- Free downloads: Authors receive 5 free downloads from the SPIE Digital Library.
- Open access publication option: Authors can select open access publication for a low cost.
- Abstracting and indexing: SPIE journals are indexed in leading scientific databases, including Web of Science, Inspec, Scopus, Ei Compendex, and Astrophysics Data System. See each journal's homepage for specific indexing information.
- Proceedings-to-journal pathway: SPIE publication policy permits manuscripts based partly or entirely on scientific content previously reported in SPIE proceedings to be submitted to SPIE journals, provided the submission fulfills the requirements of significance, quality, and completeness expected in a journal article. See the author guidelines for each journal for further details.
Authors should read the author guidelines found on each journal's homepage for details about journal policies, manuscript preparation, and submission.
Open Access for SPIE Journals
All SPIE journals offer open access publication. See our Open Access page to find more information about a specific journal's open access options.